Cart 0

Expert's Corner — curing

TIP: The Difference Between “Drying” and “Curing”

curing dying finish surface the finishing store wood woodfinishing woodwork woodworking

When a finish changes from a liquid to a solid film, it’s called “drying” or “curing.” Although these terms are often used interchangeably, they refer to different methods of forming the film, and understanding this difference helps in understanding finishes. Drying refers to the evaporation of the solvent, which results in a solid film. Shellac and lacquer are the most common finishes that change to a solid by drying. (Liquid and paste waxes also work this way.) Finishes that dry entirely by solvent evaporation can be redissolved by wetting the surface of the finish film with the thinner—alcohol for shellac...

Read more →