Cart 0

Expert's Corner — coatgloss

TIP: Crackle Lacquer

bob coat coatgloss crackle Crackle Lacquer finishers flat flexer satin surface the finishing store wood finishing woodwork woodworkers

TIP: Crackle Lacquer

Crackle lacquer is a manufactured lacquer product with so much solid material, usually silica, added that there isn’t enough binder (lacquer) remaining to glue all the solid particles together. This results in the lacquer cracking when it dries and shrinks. The usual way of applying a crackle-lacquer finish is to first apply a colored background, usually a pigmented lacquer coat. Then spray a coat of colored crackle lacquer, which cracks revealing the color underneath. Simply by moving your spray gun faster and slower and at greater and lesser distances from the workpiece, you can create a pleasing effect. You can control...

Read more →